Lists are good. I couldn’t survive without my “To Do” list at work, my shopping list or my holiday packing list. So why are they so helpful?
1. Free up valuable mind-space so we can focus and get on with the things that matter.
2. Help us to stay on track and avoid becoming distracted by things that are less important.
3. Allow us the satisfaction and pleasure of crossing items off the list when complete giving a tangible sense of achievement.
4. Help us to feel more in control and realistically aware of the challenge facing us.
5. Help us to remember the important and urgent things that need doing and enable us to prioritise effectively.
6. Act as an aide-memoir should we run out of things to do.
7. Provide a written record of what we have done during the day/week. Many tasks are forgotten and a record shows how productive you have been even on days when you think you haven’t done much.